What is Sericin Silk Powder?
Sericin Silk Powder is the colloid protein wrapping in the outer layer of silk.
Silk is the long continuous fiber consists of two fibroins and the sericin covering the outside.
The general composition of silk fiber:
- Fibroin 70-80%
- Sericin 20-30%
- Lipid 0.4-0.8%
- Hydrocarbon 1.2-1.6%
- Pigment approximately 0.2%
- Ash content approximately 0.7%
Silk emitted by the silkworm consists mainly of two proteins, sericin, fibroin; fibroin being the silk’s structural center, and sericin being the gum coating the fibers and allowing them to stick to each other.
The chemical composition of sericin is C30H40N10O16. It is a kind of yellowish powder and is soluble in water, whose ninhydrin reaction is positive.
Natural Silk Culture and History
Silk is a natural protein fiber, some forms of which can be woven into textiles. The protein fiber of silk is composed mainly of fibroin and is produced by certain insect larvae to form cocoons. The best-known silk is obtained from the cocoons of the larvae of the mulberry silkworm Bombyx mori reared in captivity (sericulture). The shimmering appearance of silk is due to the triangular prism-like structure of the silk fibre, which allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles, thus producing different colors.
Natural Silk is the Oldest Pride of China
The earliest example of silk fabric has been found in a neolithic site in Henan and is dating back 8,500 years. Silk fabric from 3630 BC was used as wrapping a child’s body from a Yangshao culture site in Qingtaicun at Xingyang, Henan.
Legend gives credit for developing silk to a Chinese empress, Leizu (Hsi-Ling-Shih, Lei-Tzu). Silks were originally reserved for the Emperors of China for their use and gifts to others but spread gradually through Chinese culture and trade both geographically and socially and then to many Asia regions. Because of its texture and luster, silk rapidly became a popular luxury fabric in the many areas accessible to Chinese merchants. Silk was in great demand and became a staple of pre-industrial international trade. In July 2007, archaeologists discovered intricately woven and dyed silk textiles in a tomb in Jiangxi province, dated to the Eastern Zhou Dynasty roughly 2,500 years ago. Although historians have suspected a long history of the formative textile industry in ancient China, this find of silk textiles employing “complicated techniques” of weaving and dyeing provides direct evidence for silks dating before the Mawangdui-discovery and other silks dating to the Han Dynasty (202 BC-220 AD).
UNESCO designated the Silk Road as a World Heritage Site. With the development of trade on the Silk Road, most people know the natural silk comes from China, fostered and enhanced in Europe and America. It is even regarded as a valuable treasure by the Japanese in modern times.
Silk as fiber nearest to human skin in the world
Silkworm is a kind of insect belonging to the order Lepidoptera. After peeling off their skin four times, the larva of silkworm would eject silk from the mouth and fix it on the ground before putting up the falsework, which was used as the framework of cocoons, and the project of making cocoons need two to three days. Each mature silkworm has a pair of silk gland which consists of more than 900 gland cells.
At first, the silk gland secret the silk protein as liquid and then hardens to silk fiber as soon as it exposes it to air from the silk tube.
The silk fiber consists of inside organizations fibroin (about 75%）and outside organizations sericin ( about 25%).
The fibroin itself still possesses a 35% interval from the volume. The sericin outside also has the Amino Acids that are a hydrophilic lateral chain, making silk has a great function of absorption of moisture still keeping its comfort and coolness despite torridness.
Silk fiber can bear 35-44Kg/cm² pulling force in a unit of cross-sectional area, and it can still restitute after elongating the 1/7 length of itself, which has excellent flexibility and is light, soft, and fluffy.
Sericin Silk Powder Benefits
Sericin Silk Powder has skin care effect
- It has the functions of natural moisturizing and skin nourishing
- Possessing the action of inhibiting melanin production,
- Promoting the regeneration of skin tissue, guard against chapping and chemical damage
- Inhibiting the skin cancer
- Silk protein also possesses the function of antioxidant
- Silk protein also possesses the function of antioxidant
Sericin Silk Powder has hair-caring, hair-nourishing and hairdressing effect.
Silk protein’s hair-caring function depends on the absorbency, absorptivity, film-forming ability and moisturizing type it received by hair. Compared with other protolysates (collagen, bone collagen, glutin and so on), the biggest feature of fibroin is that it is easy to be absorbed by the hair.
The Nutritional Function of Fibroin Food
Silk protein contains 18 types of amino acid, over 90 percent of which can be absorbed by human body. Its percentage of amino acids which are necessary to human body reaches more than 17 percent, higher than normal food. Therefore, it is a very good way of amino acid supplements to add the fibroin into the food. Japan began the research of turning silk into food as early as 1983. Like silk cake, biscuits, noodles, soba noodles, jelly glues, ice cream, candies, porridge, drink, soy and other kinds which contain components of silk, such as mushroom, tea, capsule, tablets and so on, they have appeared in the market, and are very popular among customers, which become the new generation of healthy food and nourishment in Japan.
Sericin Silk Powder can be applied in medical.
- It can lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- It has anticoagulant and anti-HIV activity effects.
- It has anti-inflammatory effect.
- It has cancer prevention effect.
Sericin Silk Powder is applied in Functional Materials, Fibers and Textiles
- It is used as new electronic materials.
- It is used as degradable biological materials.
- It is used as synthetic macromolecule materials and products.
- It is used as functional biological membranes.
- It is used as functional fibers and textiles.
Sericin Silk Powder Specification
|Characters||White to Light Yellow Powder, Easy Deliquescence. Solubility in Water|
|Total Nitrogen (%)||≥14|
|The Percentage of Polarized Side Amino Acids in the Total Quantity of Amino Acids (%)||＞70|
|Loss on Drying (%)||5.0|
|Residue on Ignition||4.0|
|Heavy Metal (Pb)/(mg/kg)||≤5|
|Total Bacterial Count (CFU/g)||≤3000|
|Pathogenic Bacteria (Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus Aureus)||Negative|
Sericin Silk Powder Main Functions
- Sericin Silk Powder is rich of amino acids with polar pendant groups, such as serine and asparaginic acid. It is a kind of protein with abundant hydrophilic groups. Because amino acid with hydrophilic polarity accounts for about 75% in sericin, especially serine which takes up about 30% of sericin, whose hygroscopicify is 50 times stronger than glycerol. Thus, sericin is highly effective in moisture absorption, moisture, breathable function and antimicrobial function when used as raw material of cosmetic and chemical fiber lay material.
- The film-forming property of silk glue on hair is excellent and the membrane is glossy, while the hair feels good and elastic. It can not only avoid the direct contact between hair and chemicals that can damage hair, and it can also increase the elasticity and gloss of hair. Sericin can form the membranes with certain strength on the hair surface, which can be used as the hairspray.
- Sericin has an excellent inoxidizability. It can effectively inhibit the polyphenol oxidase activity in food and is an excellent natural antioxidant for fat food, which has very prominent value in developing the additive to extend the refreshing time of dairy foods.
- Using sericin protein as main raw material, then coating on the fiber, underwear, bedding, close skin and leather products through the cross-linking agent, achieving the silky effects like skin caring, being friendly to skin, antibacterial, comfortable, etc.
- 25Kg/Fiber Drum, double plastic bag inside, with carton outside.
- Sample – aluminum foil bag vacuum packing.
Where to buy Sericin Silk Powder?
Just send an email to [email protected], or submit your requirement in bottom form. We are of service at any time!