What is Star anise extract (Shikimic acid)?
Star anise extract (Shikimic acid) is the primary source of the chemical compound shikimic acid, a direct precursor in the pharmaceutical synthesis of anti-influenza drug oseltamivir. Most autotrophic organisms produce shikimic acid, and while it can be obtained in commercial quantities elsewhere, star anise remains the usual industrial source. About 90% of the world’s star anise crop is used to extract shikimic acid, a chemical intermediate used in the synthesis of oseltamivir
What is Star Anise?
Illicium verum is a medium-sized native evergreen tree of northeast Vietnam and southwest China. A spice commonly called star anise, star anise seed, Chinese star anise, or that closely resembles anise in flavor is obtained from the star-shaped pericarp of Illicium velum’s fruit is harvested just before ripening. Star anise oil is a highly fragrant oil used in cooking, perfumery, soaps, toothpaste, mouthwashes, and skin creams.
Traditional Chinese Medicine Use
In traditional Chinese medicine, star anise is considered a warm and moving herb and is used to relieve cold stagnation in the middle jiao. Shikimic acid, more commonly known as its anionic form shikimate, is a cyclohexene, a cyclitol, and a cyclohexanecarboxylic acid. It is an important biochemical metabolite in plants and microorganisms. It is also the glycoside part of some hydrolyzable tannin.
Star anise extract (Shikimic acid) benefits
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory analgesic.
- It is the drug intermediates of anti-cancer and anti-virus.
- Moreover, it is also the basic raw material for combating avian flu.
- It can inhibit the concentrating of the blood platelets; inhibit arterial, venous thrombosis, and cerebral thrombosis.
|Shikimic Acid||98% HPLC||10:1|
|Appearance||White to Off White Powder||Brown Yellow Fine Powder|
|Heavy Metals||≤10 ppm|
|Total Plate Count||≤1000 cfu/g|
|Yeast and Mold||≤100 cfu/g|
Store in tightly sealed containers then place in cool and dry place, and away from moisture, light, oxygen.
- Packed in paper-drums and two plastic-bags inside. N.W:25kgs .I.D.35×H51cm.
- 1Kg/Bag, aluminum foil bag vacuum packing.
- Sample, double sealed water plastic bags inside with the aluminum bag outside.
Where to buy Star anise extract (Shikimic acid)?
Just send an email to [email protected], or submit your requirement in bottom form, we are of service at any time!